Saturday, September 7, 2013

Dominique Ansel Bakery - The Magic Souffle! More Than A Cronut!





I can't believe I woke-up at 6:30 am to get ready for and arrive at Dominique Ansel's Bakery shop on 189 Spring Street in downtown New York City by 8:00 a.m.  It was worth it!

 



First of all, I met Dominique Ansel!  He was nice and gracious and fully involved with all the processes within the bakery.  But let's start at the beginning....

I arrived by taxi and saw a huge line around the corner.  I knew I was in the right place.  Why?  Because I knew that everyone was lined up for Dominique's famous Cronut - A croissant and doughnut hybrid.  It's been written about everywhere and it's a hit! This week's flavor is Fig Marscapone.


But I was on a mission.  I did not want to wait in the huge line and I was focused on only one thing - The Magic Souffle!  I saw it on one of my entertainment programs a few days prior and that was my target.   It's hard to find a reasonably priced souffle in New York City and one that can be cooked quickly. 

So, I continued on my quest.  I was able to bypass the huge line and go straight into the pastry shop.  I asked them where I was to stand and they pointed me to a very short line of non-cronut worshippers.  I ordered my $7 souffle and waited by the pick-up line.  A few minutes later, they called my name and presented me with a prettily packaged square confection of orange blossom cake filled with Grand Marnier flavored chocolate filling.  (I verified this information with Chef Ansel and his staff.)


Next, the taste test.  Chef Ansel said I needed to eat it while it was hot.  I was wasting time with taking pictures instead of digging right in.  My instincts were correct about how to eat it:  Break apart the rectangular confection to expose the delicious chocolate goo.


 It was moist and the orange flavor hits you right away.  It was good for breakfast and filling when added to a cup of coffee.  I told Dominique that one more component would take this pastry to the next level - whipped cream.  I told him that he could make a unique, superlicious Dominique Ansel whipped cream that would be the next phenom from his shop.  He smiled.

As I sat there inhaling my treat, I couldn't help but notice other tempting treats.  There are sweet and savory choices.

 One woman was eating his egg and cheese sandwich.

 I saw a picture for something that seemed intriging, an avocado on toast creation. 


It was fresh avocado spread on a piece of toaast and flavored with tarragon.  It sounds simple, but the staff said that it is quite a favorite and when it's taken off the menu because of seasonal issues, people complain.

 The quiche looked sensational and I want to go back to try it.



There were more savory options such as the Tender Chicken Nicoise  and Roasted Pork Club with pickled eggs and tomatoes on  sourdough bread.  These dishes really inspired me to come back for lunch. The Gazpacho Soup is made with watermelon.

The usual components such as brownies and cookies looked hearty and inviting.  There was a gluten-free chocolate cake called the Mini-Me Cake.  Another sweet that I will come back to try is the Paris-New York which is a pastry made with pate a choux dough and filled with caramel, peanuts and chocolate. Mmmm, Good!


The interior space was narrow, but light.  There was a little bit of seating, but most of the space was for patrons in line.  There is a beautiful garden outside that has plenty of space.  There are two glass enclosed areas for people to relax and enjoy their sweets.  It's a perfect place for spring through late autumn days.   Plenty of natural sunlight floods the space.  It's very relaxing.

Come to Dominique Ansel's Bakery.  Bring a friend.  You can chomp on delicious gourmet treats and a enjoy nice, friendly atmosphere.  If you're lucky, you may be able to express your appreciation to Chef Ansel!












    



No comments:

Post a Comment