Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Mindy Project 2013-2014 Season Premiere - What Happened?!

What happened in last night's Mindy Project Premiere?!

 It was uneven at best. I really expected it to come out of the gate with a Bang! but it was more of a whimper.

 First of all, Mindy got engaged in Haiti to her reverend boyfriend. They are still clutzy and in love, but I wasn't feeling them as much as last season. I think he's way too patient and understanding for her.

Then they brought in James Franco to add a new "hot"(?) element to the show. I don't get James Franco's appeal at all. He's so smarmy. I mean, I appreciate that he is a Jack of All Trades, which I am myself. But I think he's a bit overrated, especially after that Oscar debacle. It was so terrible! In any case, his character is a sex therapist and has taken Mindy's place in the practice.

 However, Mindy gets sick in Haiti and had to be airlifted back to the United States for medical treatment. Danny is very excited that Mindy is back, partially because she sent him a million letters from Haiti and partly because his sizzle for his ex-wife has fizzled.

The Dr. Jeremy Reed character is getting fat because he was made managing partner and his only solace is food. Ike Barinholtz is still around as Morgan the crazy, yet extremely competent male nurse.

Besides Ike, the character that I did like and who made the show slightly funny and intriguing was the black nurse character. She thought Mindy's name was "Glob" and she was pretty confident about it.

In any case, Mindy and her Reverend Boyfriend decided to have a spur-of-the-moment, small wedding in New York with all of their friends. Of course, nothing goes as planned, including Mindy's boyfriend urinating on her wedding dress. At the last second, as Mindy is walking up the aisle in her scrubs, her boyfriend has a change of heart and calls off the wedding. He says that she deserves a better wedding than this and that it should happen after he gets back from Haiti.

There was something strange though, for me, in how he expressed it. I don't really believe that he called off the wedding for that reason. I think he got cold feet. Maybe I am reading too much in to it, but I don't think this relationship is going to last. I almost feel as though they will make Mindy get together with James Franco. However, what would be ridiculous and better would be if Danny's wife, who broke up with him because she found out that he was going to the Internet for "self-satisfaction", would get together with James Franco because his sperm was much more fascinating. There was so much chemistry between the Franco and Sevigny characters.

I just wasn't left with a tantalizing clffhanger. I wasn't satisfied. They really need to have more reflective moments like they did last season. There was always some type of redeeming moral at the end.

As per my last Dr. Reed post, they need to utilize the sexiness of his character or the potentially strange proclivities of his romantic life. They should have amped up the romance tension between Mindy and Danny.

At least Mindy has an epiphany that she was still too shallow for Haiti. She was pretending to enjoy it, but she realized she was still the same person inside. How can her selfish, narcissistic personality be compatible with the selfless personality of her do-gooder boyfriend?

All I hope is that "The Mindy Project" ups its game again. Maybe the issue is that they needed to do a recap show and sometimes it's hard to make them super fascinating. I want to feel excited about this show again. I know you can do it, Mindy (Kalling)!

No comments:

Post a Comment