Friday, December 6, 2013

Hollywood Men I Love #2 - Liev Schreiber!



Stylish women love stylish men!  Mr. Schreiber is wearing his designer suits well on his new show.

I love Liev Schreiber!  I love his new show Ray Donovan on Showtime!  It's like a wackier, twisted version of the Sopranos!


I met Mr. Schreiber while he was enjoying a triumphant stint on Broadway a few years ago. He looks exactly as handsome and tall as you see on the screen.  He seemed like he would be a bit of a "Prickly Bear", but I introduced him to a project he might be interested in, and my charm won him over!

I know the first season has just wrapped, but I didn't have time before this past week to really sit down and watch it from beginning to end. There are 12 episodes and they were worth my time.

So the past few days have allowed me to have a Ray Donovan marathon.  I have really liked the acting talents of Mr. Schreiber ever since I saw him in "A Walk on the Moon" with Viggo Mortensen and Diane Lane.  He was this big guy who could show deep emotional vulnerability.

He brings this same depth to the Ray Donovan character.  You don't realize how much until you see the final first season episode.

Ray Donovan is a Hollywood "fixer" guy.  He cleans up the messes and moral transgressions of the rich and famous.  He's not above beating someone up, secretly putting drugs in someone's system, or murder.


However, his home life is a mess as well.  His father is an ex-con who got out early.  He's played by acting heavyweight Jon Voight who makes you cringe and also feel sympathetic for this crazy and dangerous coot. Havoc ensues as soon as he steps back into the picture.



 The Donovans are Irish, but Mr. Donovan, Sr.  also fathered a child with a former African American girlfriend about 20 years ago and this child, Darryl,  is later introduced to his other family.  This child was one of the few visitors that Ray's father had while doing time, so there is quite a bond between them.



 Ray's wife, Abby, knows her husband is shady, including in the fidelity department, but she is steadfastly loyal and is also constantly snooping into her husband's business.
 

Ray has two brothers:Bunchy and Terry .  Bunchy had a traumatic childhood experience which has turned him him into an infantile, mental wreck.    The other brother has to deal with a physical disability due to a boxing match when he was younger.




Ray's two children also prove to be challenges for their parents due to their teenage angst and an awareness of their father's  work related proclivities.

We are introduced to a vast array of characters who will have you laughing, scowling, or both.

This show continued to surprise me all the way to the end.  On a personal note, I didn't mind the new sexiness of Mr. Schreiber.  He's in the best shape I have ever seen him in and in Episode 8, we are given a generous view of some of his physical assets.  I may have had to rewind that part a few times! ;-)

In any case, if you have Showtime on Demand, take some time to watch this unique series.  Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment