Friday, May 17, 2013

RED EGG IS GOOD LUCK!




RED EGG RESTAURANT IS GOOD LUCK!  One of the managers told me that the name for the Red Egg is based on a Chinese tradition.  When a baby is born, people eat an egg that has been dyed red on the outside for good luck.

Well, this restaurant has been good luck for me in terms of delicious food!



It's dim sum is the highlight.  It does have other traditional Chinese food, like shrimp, chicken, vegetable dishes that are fried or steamed.  They have  a good selection of soups and a full bar.  But the menu that I am most interested in is the dim sum.  I love shrimp and so I am always ordering something with shrimp in it.  My favorite dumplings are the Red Egg shrimp dumplings and the seafood shu mai which has shrimp and scallops.  They come in steam baskets and are fresh and hot!  I use three sauces to dunk them in:  sweet soy sauce, plum sauce, and hot chili sauce.  They are steamy and scrumptious.  My mouth waters thinking about the delights that are going to visit me.  I also order a side of white rice to make the meal heartier.



The other day, I decided to order something different:  the jumbo shrimp with honey walnuts (see picture).  It's a jumbo shrimp dish served with broccoli and candied honey walnuts.  They serve it with a mayonnaise base sauce on the side.  I use my trio of sauces with this dish which you also have to add rice to if you wish.  The shrimp are fried and tenderly crispy.  The candied walnuts add a deep, sweet complexity to the dish.  I love fresh steamed broccoli and the sweet/citrusy mayonnaise based sauce added a touch of decadence.

What's even better about this place is that between 10am -12pm and 4-7pm there are specials.  I go after 4pm and get the dim sum special.  You get 1/2 off the dim sum and drinks.  So, I can mix and match and experiment to try all the tastes I am curious about.  For example, yesterday, my friend let me try her  vegetable dumplings (which I may have not tried right away since I like meat).  They were delicious and fragant! 




I like the Lychee Sake-tini which is in a martini glass and has lychee flavored sake.  There is another drink called the Wakawaka which has jasmine flavored courvoisier.  Intriguing!  There were many interesting cocktails, beers, and wines.  There is something here for everyone.

 It's on 202 Centre Street in Chinatown+.  The closest station is Canal Street on the 6 line.  You could also take the D and walk over or take the D to Broadway/Lafayette and transfer to the 6 line.

Red Egg+
Chinatown+
Restaurant+
dim sum+
dumplings+
bars+

No comments:

Post a Comment