Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Kitchenette is the Bomb!

Kitchenette is one of the best restaurants in the city.  Although it is a Columbia student hangout in between 122nd and 123rd Street on Amsterdam, there are plenty of business people and everyone in between to make it a diverse crowd on many levels.

The food is great!  The savory and the sweet are worth the trip.  I love two things the best:  The hamburgers and the strawberry shortcake.  I get the hamburger with sharp white cheddar cheese and the sun-dried tomato pesto.  You must have it with the pesto and if you're feeling even more decadent, order the bacon buttermilk dressing, which is sort of a ranch dressing.  The beefy, cheesified goop fest pairs well with the sweet and a little bit tart sun-dried tomato sauce.  Every friend that I have brought there to eat it has raved at robust deliciousness.  They go back on their own because the experience stays with them.


I also love the strawberry shortcake.  This is not the light, small and hollow shortcake cup that you find in the stores.   I was told that it is the real deal:  shortcake.  Then it is filled and topped with a very vanilla whipped cream substance and topped with strawberries.  The cake is dense and hearty.  This is not a little nibble, it's a stomach full.  Sometimes I just come for that dessert and nothing else because it's a lot to eat.  I think the only thing they should add is an allover drizzle of hot fudge. (P.S. - I was told by Doug, one of the managers, that they do have a decadent chocolate sauce that's made from chocolate chips.  He told me this after I finished the cake.  Next time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment