Sunday, September 16, 2012

Macaroni and Cheese Tip:



I love macaroni+ and cheese+!  My mother makes the best of this dish, so I decided to make it with my sister because we wanted to help my mother and learn how to do it in our homes.  My mother has a special ingredient that really works well to melt the cheese better and with less calories.  Instead of using cream and eggs (I still use a little butter), I use evaporated milk.  My mother has always used it in different dishes.  So, I told my sister that we should use it with a variety of cheeses to create the macaroni sauce:  extra sharp cheddar, monterey jack, and garlic cheese.  We used two cans of evaporated milk because we were making a big batch of macaroni.  It melted superbly.  In fact, my niece, Alex, called with a macaroni and cheese emergency.  She liked the dish we made and she tried it, but she didn't use the evaporated milk.  I gave her the same tip and told her to do it again.  She called me back later and thanked me excitedly because it came out perfectly.

2 comments:

  1. People asked me to finish the basic recipe for this macaroni and cheese:

    Once you mix the melted cheese sauce in the pot, you can add the macaroni. Then put the macaroni in a (preferably glass) baking pan and put shredded sharp cheese or any chees of your choice, over the macaroni and bake on 350 degrees until the cheese is melted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up eating Mrs. Calbert's Mac 'n Cheese. As a kid I'd visit the Calbert family home, especially during the holidays, and there was always a tray of the yummy stuff lying around. It got so bad over the years that Mrs. Calbert addressed me in this way: "Cindy! I got some of that macaroni and cheese for ya!"

    Mac 'n Cheese is always so versatile and delicious. There are a number of restaurants in NYC that have cropped up that are doing all kinds of variations on the traditional dish.

    ReplyDelete