Saturday, December 17, 2016

SOOTHING LETTERS - TIM COOK AND HADI PARTOVI- CALMING YOUR FLOCK






I TOOK A BREAK BECAUSE THIS ELECTION THING TOOK ME FOR A LOOP!

Well, the day of uncertainty is almost upon us: Donald Trump will be sworn in as president. My feelings of anxiousness are creeping back up, feelings made even more intense knowing some of the cabinet picks and their histories.  It makes me think of what I call “soothing” letters that some tech company leaders issued and that I put on my site: Hadi Partovi and Tim Cook. 

At first, I was a little surprised that they felt they needed to put out such letters, and then I felt sad because I realized that more company leaders should have done this action. You see, in New York City, it was disturbingly quiet the next day. I could see people on public transportation visibly numb.  It was so scary and disheartening.  Then when all the traffic and commotion started because Trump was at Trump Tower and needed a lot of security and protection, which garnered traffic jams and disruptions.  Was this a signal of things to come?

I shouldn’t have been so shocked because the fact is that my experience working in the tech sector and that of my friends has been a positive one because the companies seem to follow a path of inclusion and diversity.  It was the first time in my life in which I worked somewhere that had a variety of people in a variety of different, high/well- paying positions. There was respect shown to all. It seemed as though merit was the only ticket you needed to enter.  I loved my days in that world.  I really felt appreciated as a human being.
I think now, more than ever, we need more soothing letters. Heads of companies and heads of families, talk to your flock and try to quell their fear and nervousness.  There may be strange times ahead or maybe nothing new or something in between.
Be strong America.  Be strong world.

LOVE,

LORI A. CALBERT


No comments:

Post a Comment